Thursday, February 26, 2009

RSV scare

Yes, my sweet little Brandon got the dreaded RSV.  Of course all this had to happen 1 week before our new insurance became active.  I took him to an urgent care center, after much prodding from my mom, and they knew right away what is was.  His respiration was up to 78.  They knew I was worried about going to the hospital without insurance, so they said I could go home and watch him carefully overnight, and count his respirations often.  We had a really bad 48 hours or so, but he now seems to be on the mend.  I am grateful that we didn't have to spend thousands of dollars at Primary Children's, although we would have if we needed to.  It was so sad and scary to see him work so hard to breathe, and the coughing was horrible (he still has a bit of that).  I am also grateful that we can go ahead as planned to have him blessed this Sunday.  Yesterday evening, when he actually started smiling and not screaming every moment, I was in love with him all over again.  It was so wonderful.  I couldn't stop kissing and loving him to death.  I am so glad I haven't had to deal with this before, and I am so glad the nightmare is over.




11 comments:

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

Woah! He is so big now! :) I am glad he is feeling better, and even more glad to see pictures of him! :) We missed you again today, the recipes are posted, I think you should still post even if you aren't here. :)

Trieste said...

I am so glad he is doing better...I felt so bad for him on Sunday, he just had such a hard time breathing even then. I'm glad it worked out the way it did...having no insurance is pretty scary!

Serin said...

Is he sleeping on the floor in front of the oven? lol

So glad that he's feeling better! I've never had to deal with that.

Kathy said...

That is scary. Gideon got RsV but he was 11 months old. Not quite so scary. So sad to hear them working so hard to breathe. Brittney had her baby yesterday. They named her Allison Dianne. They are both doing well. Thought you might want to know.

Lisa said...

What a chunk. Glad he is feeling better. I hope you are both sleeping better.

jkl warner said...

Hi Rachael, yes I remember you. My husband Jon and I are looking in Highlands Ranch for housing. He's going to work in Lakewood. I can't believe how grown up Jackson looks! Sorry your little one had RSV. Good luck with the fam, keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

He is beautiful! I hope he is doing better!

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way we have the same background! Great minds think alike!

The Peterson 5 said...

Hi Rachel...I saw from facebook you have a blog. That is so scary when your baby is that sick. I'm so glad he's feeling better. I still think he is one of the cutest babies ever!! It was fun going dinner with you guys the other night too! We also have a blog. www.thepetersonpad.blogspot.com
Hopefully we'll talk to you soon!
Sally Peterson

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

Look at his chubs!! So cute! I love me a fat baby! Glad he is feeling better! Scary - and even scarier with no insurance!

MJ said...

I'm so glad Brandon's doing better!!

How is Jackson doing? We really miss him in class every week.

Just read about your last trip to Utah... I prefer taking 70 through the mountains over 80, but I'm generally going to Provo, not SLC. I'm glad you made it safely!!